Health & Safety Law
Our lawyers are all experts in their chosen specialisms, but you need your advisers to be able to look beyond the specific deal or project to understand your business sector. That is why our lawyers immerse themselves in specific industry sectors, making sure that they understand your business as well as they do their own.
Our health and safety law team advises clients throughout the UK on all kinds of health and safety, and contentious environmental, matters and issues.
We act for a broad spectrum of clients across different industry sectors including manufacturing, distribution, food and drink, property and construction, minerals, quarrying and extractives, retail, healthcare, care homes and domiciliary care. Our clients range from individuals to large corporations, institutional organisations and multi-nationals.
The team has been involved in many high-profile cases, giving our lawyers the expertise and reputation to advise our clients in respecting of all aspects of health and safety law and compliance. We have the rare ability to help clients to project-manage, rather than simply react to, regulatory disputes and regulatory compliance because of our work on both the legal and system compliance sides of health and safety environmental matters.
The work carried out by the team typically comprises:
- Investigation management advice and assistance
- Engagement with health safety and environmental authorities - including drafting correspondence and arranging and attending meetings
- Improvement, Prohibition and Enforcement Notices - compliance advice; and advice in relation to and bringing appeals; as well as representation at appeal hearings in the court or tribunal
- Notifications of Contravention and Fees for Intervention (FFI) - advice on compliance and/or challenges (queries and disputes)
- Interviews under caution ('PACE' interviews) - preparation, representation and drafting statements in lieu of attendance
- Civil sanctions in environmental cases - legal and strategic advice and negotiations
- Formal cautions - advice on and assistance with acceptance
- Prosecutions - defending and/or mitigating, including representation at court hearings and trials
- Inquests - preparation and representation
- Judicial review - bringing cases against health safety and environmental authorities and others in order to quash or change their decisions
- Reputation management - dealing with press, media, client, customer and staff communications and issues
Our Head of Department, partner and lawyer Alan Millband:
- Is a leading regulatory and business defence lawyer with considerable experience across the regulatory spectrum, particularly in health safety and contentious environmental matters. Alan has specialised in health and safety, environmental and regulatory law for over 25 years and regularly speaks and presents on health and safety law regionally and nationally. Alan is a guest lecturer at the University of Derby (lecturing in health safety and environmental law on the Minerals Management honours degree course)
- Advises trade associations and sits on the Health and Safety Steering Committee of the British Precast Concrete Federation
- Has extensive experience of multiple business and industry sectors for health and safety law
- Is renowned for his expertise in matters relating to health and safety in the quarrying and mineral products industries and is editor of the leading textbook on health and safety law in quarrying "Health & Safety Law in Quarries"
- Historically worked on secondment for one of the UK's leading health and safety compliance companies leading to a deep understanding of compliance requirements and obligations
- Advises on all kinds of regulatory compliance issues, and represents clients who are subject to action by enforcing authorities (such as HSE, Local Authorities, Environment Agency, Police and CQC)
- Is an extremely effective court advocate as well as an entertaining and engaging public speaker
Find out more:
Please contact our health and safety expert Alan Millband, who will be able to discuss your needs in greater detail firstname.lastname@example.org