Our lawyers are all experts in their chosen specialisms, but you need your advisers to be able to look beyond the specific deal or project to understand your business sector. That is why our lawyers immerse themselves in specific industry sectors, making sure that they understand your business as well as they do their own.
Our focus is to help our clients succeed in all of the countries in which they operate. We achieve this by being proactive as to their current and future needs and by constantly looking for new and improved ways to add value with genuinely innovative global solutions. The world is becoming a much more competitive and accessible market which requires the need for more tailored solutions for our clients. Our aim is work as part of our client’s team to deliver those solutions globally.
We have experience of providing local and international clients with a full range of legal services.
Our international experience includes acting for foreign-owned companies with UK interests, those looking to start-up business in the UK or to develop in the UK through acquisition, collaboration or joint ventures and UK companies with overseas operations, subsidiaries and property interests.
Our international clients include businesses in the logistics, construction, media, automotive, manufacturing, leisure, technology, transportation, packaging, food, fashion and tourism sectors.
We are members of the International Law Society and of a global network, IR Global, which is the fastest growing professional service firm network in the world, providing legal, accountancy and financial advice to companies and individuals across 150 jurisdictions. Our membership of IR Global, together with our work in the IP sector (working with the software industry’s global anti-piracy organisation, the Business Software Alliance) and other relationships that we have developed overseas, mean that we are able to easily work closely with legal providers in other jurisdictions to ensure that our clients with international interests receive the best possible advice.
Our recent client expertise includes advising companies in Africa, Asia, Australasia, Canada, Channel Islands, Europe, Far East, Middle East, Russia, South America and the US.
We advise international businesses on all aspects of UK law including:
- IP/IT, including advising on the protection, exploitation and enforcement of proprietary rights
- Corporate and Commercial
- Regulation including compliance with UK legislation
- Employment, including employment disputes, contractual issues (including jurisdiction issues and expatriate contracts), removal of directors of multi-national businesses, cross-border TUPE transfers and disciplinary and grievance issues
- Dispute Resolution including international cross-border disputes, disputes in other jurisdictions for UK based clients or disputes for overseas clients being brought in the UK
- Insolvency & Corporate Recovery; and
- Commercial Property, Planning & Construction.
Whether it is an international reorganisation, acquisition, disposal or merger, brand protection, financing issue, cross-border dispute or private client matter, we have the skills and experience to provide expert advice and excellent client service.
We also advise individuals on international aspects of UK law.
Examples of work that we have undertaken for international clients include:
- Advising on sales, distribution and agency contracts, both for distributors based in the UK distributing for foreign manufacturers, and for UK based manufacturers appointing foreign distributors. Recent work: a distributor in Japan for a UK based shoe manufacturer.
- Advising on group restructures of international groups of companies, where UK subsidiaries need to reduce share capital, extinguish inter-company loans and transfer shareholdings. Recent work: a restructure for a US private equity-owned group involving reductions of share capital and repayment of inter-company receivables.
- Advising on acquisitions of UK companies by foreign-based acquirers – acting either for the UK based vendors or the foreign-based purchaser. Recent work: the sale of 65% of the share capital of a UK company to a French listed company.
- Advising on joint ventures and other trading relationships between UK-based and international companies. Recent work: a joint venture in the telecommunications sector between UK based clients owning software and US owners of hardware technology.
- Advising an Italian client on corporate and IP agreements in connection with an international acquisition including UK subsidiary companies.
- Successfully enforcing the UK patent of a German engineering company in the High Court.
- Managing the international trade mark portfolio of a number of fashion sector clients, including working with foreign trade mark attorneys and law firms to provide a global brand protection and enforcement service.
- Advising a technology company with regards to the loss of one of its contracts in both the UK and Poland. This involved us advising our client in relation to the transfer of that operation pursuant to TUPE and project managing advice from legal partners in Poland in relation to the Acquired Rights Directive so that we were adopting a consistent approach. The incoming contractor initially disputed that the ARD applied and we were able to change their mind, achieving considerable savings for our client.
- Advising a UK client in relation to the disciplinary process of a UK employee carrying out employed business in Hong Kong and China who was receiving bribes and backhanders from suppliers, costing our client £1/4m. We advised our client in relation to the investigation, disciplinary process and in obtaining a freezing injunction over the employee’s assets.
- We have significant experience of acting for UK companies in relation to international litigation including disputes in; USA, Canada, Turkey, Nigeria, Jordan and Estonia. For example, we are currently involved in a litigation relation to an oil platform off the coast of Nigeria.
If you would like to speak to a member of our International lawyer team, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or any of our partners listed.
Howes Percival is an independent member of Abacus Worldwide, an international association of independent accounting, consulting and legal firms. www.abacusworldwide.org