There are a number of reasons why a parent may wish to change a child’s surname ranging from separation from an ex-partner to requiring consistency of surname within a family unit.

Provided that everyone with parental responsibility consents to the child’s name being changed, this can be done by way of a change of name deed. We offer a fixed rate service for preparing the deed and can deal with this quickly and effectively.

If there is disagreement between parents over whether a child’s name should be changed, it may be necessary to make an application to court seeking a Specific Issue Order. In this case, the Court will make a decision based on what is in the best interests of the child. A name will not ordinarily be changed unless there are strong reasons for doing so.