We can assist charities and their trustees with:
- The formation of new charities, whether as companies, trusts or Charitable Incorporated Organisations (CIO’s)
- Transactional matters, such as leases and property sales, where it is essential that the Charities Act requirements are followed
- Corporate matters, including drafting of minutes and notifications to Companies House for charities formed as companies
- Mergers and joint working arrangements including the associated property and assets transfers
- Employment issues
- Internal issues such as disputes between trustees and questions of governance
- External issues such as complaints and Charity Commission enquiries
- Compliance matters including day to day administration and the management of charities
- The formalities and documents required for changing trustees
- Restructuring or changes to governing documents, including applications to the Charity Commission, where approval is needed
- Winding up charities
- Powers of attorney for both business and personal matters
- Tax planning and advice on tax mitigation
- Agricultural and rural issues
Our specialist Charity team works in a seamless manner with other specialists from our corporate and property (including agricultural) teams in order to deliver the widest service offering to our clients. Because of our long history of involvement in the charity sector, many of our partners are trustees of charities so we have much practical experience of working in the sector.
"The charities practice at Howes Percival LLP has many partners who act as charity trustees and have experience in dealing with governance issues. The multi-disciplinary group handles charity formation and administration, including advising on new and changed structures, incorporations, conversion, governing documents and mergers. Notable skills include tax advice from the estates practice, which frequently advises on Gift Aid, enhanced legacy income and inheritance tax matters. "
Employment and HR Law
Health and Safety
Howes Percival recruits Leicester financial litigation Partner
Howes Percival wins Legal Firm of the Year Award at the 2023 Northamptonshire Business Excellence Awards.
Get in touch