There may be a number of situations in which a third party may have an interest in the assets being divided on divorce. In certain circumstances, this third party may wish to defend their interest in the asset by intervening in divorce proceedings.

This may apply where:

  • A parent has provided financial assistance to their child (eg. to purchase the family home)
  • Business partners
  • Trustees

If you think that this may apply to you, it is important that you seek legal advice promptly to ensure that your interests are both recognised and properly protected.

Other considerations

Interveners proceedings can be expensive and create further costs for the parties divorcing.

There are civil cost implications if you are unsuccessful with your intervener application thus you must ensure you take advice concerning your risk of exposure to cost claims.

You will require independent legal advice to your son/daughter.